Statistics gathered by The Spectator Index have listed 12 world leaders in order of their popularity on Twitter. The Spectator Index displays statistics related to politics, economics, history, military affairs, sports, science and technology. Prime Minister Imran Khan has risen in popularity, emerging as 9th in the rankings.
After a political struggle in Pakistan of more than 22 years, the cricketer-turned-philanthropist-turned-politician has garnered a Twitter following of 9.4million people.
Mr Khan, the leader of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) rose to power after winning the 2018 elections.
The cricket legend is known for his charitable works, primarily the Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital which was established after Pakistan won the 1992 Cricket World Cup.
Mr Khan founded the hospital with the vision to make cancer treatment accessible to every citizen of Pakistan, regardless of background.
The ranking puts Pakistan’s prime minister above King Salman, King of Saudi Arabia who sits at 7.3million followers.
It places Mr Khan below Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum – Vice President of the United Arab Emirates – who has 9.6 million Twitter followers.
Topping the list with a staggering 59.5million Twitter followers is US President Donald Trump – which is no surprise given the frequency of his tweets.
Whilst Theresa May is 11th on the list of 12 with just 5.4 million followers in comparison.
Bottom of the rankings is President of France Emmanuel Macron, with 3.7million Twitter followers.
President Macron’s popularity had been on the decline following a series of ‘yellow vest’ protests across France.
These protests began targeted at fuel taxes but soon transformed into calls for social justice.
The full ranking of World Leaders is as follows:
Twitter followers (million)
1. @realDonaldTrump – Donald Trump (US President): 59.5
2. @narendramodi – Narendra Modi (Prime Minister of India): 46.7
3. @Pontifex – Pope Francis: 17.9
4. @RT_Erdogan – Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (President of Turkey): 13.6
5. @SushmaSwaraj – Sushma Swaraj (Minister of External Affairs of India): 12.4
6. @jokowi – Joko Widodo (President of Indonesia): 11.1
7. @QueenRania – Queen Rania (Queen Consort of Jordan): 10.4
8. @HHShkMohd – His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (Vice President of the United Arab Emirates): 9.6
9. @ImranKhanPTI – Imran Khan (Prime Minister of Pakistan): 9.4
10. @KingSalman – King Salman (King of Saudi Arabia): 7.3
11. @10DowningStreet- Theresa May (Prime Minister of the UK): 5.4
12. @EmmanuelMacron – Emmanuel Macron (President of France): 3.7